New Badge of Winteringham Cricket Club is based on old family crests
The following article appeared in the "Wayfarer" column of the Scunthorpe Evening Telegraph in August 1957 (kindly supplied by Sandra Clayton):
Members of the village cricket club at Winteringham who wear the club's newly-adopted badge on their blazers will be preserving a centuries-old link with the past.
The badge consists of an impressive coat of arms taken from the crests of two former Winteringham farming families one of which, the Scarborough family is believed to have
been in existence in Danish times.
In his history of Winterton, published in 1836, the noted local antiquary, William Andrews,
mentions the Scarborough family living in the Winteringham district during the time of Henry VII.
REAR ADMIRAL WAS PRESIDENT
The other family, the Bords, may not have had its roots in Winteringham but it originated in North Lincolnshire. It became closely associated with the Scarborough family through marriage.
Mr. John S. Dudding, of Winteringham, and West Africa, where he is in the colonial service, is a nephew of the late Mr. John
Scarborough, the last person to bear the family's name. Mr. Scarborough, who lived in Hull, was a staunch supporter of the
Winteringham Cricket Club in the 1930's and made a substantial donation toward providing playing equipment.
His cousin, Surgeon Rear Admiral John Dudding of Winteringham, was the club's fourth president, and in 1937, he opened a new cricket pavilion at the club's ground, the Croft.
TAKEN FROM DRAWINGS
The idea of the club's new badge was born, when the secretary, Mr J. Kirkby heard about the drawings of the two family crests, which
are framed and hang in the hall of Mr. Duddings home. He asked to see them, and Mr. Dudding gave the club permission to make use of them.
From the Bord family crest has been taken the motto "Faith and Patience" although the cricket club has translated it into Latin.
Incorporated from the Scarborough crest is the shield, surmounted by a helmet and embossed with other heraldic emblems.
PLAYED ON RIVERSIDE
Cricket records at Winteringham date back only to 1920 when the club was officially formed, but the game was played in the village for many years previously.
In the early days the teams were picked and led by the local gentry and such matches were important occasions for the village.
The "pitch" was the Humber foreshore and no doubt many balls knocked for a "six" found their way into the river. The ball in play when
the game was finished was usually handed to the winning team as a souvenir.
FIRST LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
The formation of the club followed a special match held during the previous year to raise the necessary money. Then the village team
began to play regularly on the Warehouse field near the old railway station. Mr. W. W. Sutton became the first president, the club paying him a nominal rent for the use of the ground.
The Croft, which has been the village cricket ground since 1929, is rented from Scunthorpe Co-operative Society.
Another milestone in the progress of this enthusiastic club was winning the Dinsdale cup in 1932, the year the
Dinsdale League - now Scunthorpe and District League - was formed.
EMBLEMS AS TROPHIES
Winteringham has since been league champions in 1934, 1936, and 1940.
The second president of the club Mr P. Morrison, presented caps to the players in 1930. The third president was Mr. F.
Hawkins, senior, and the office has been held for the past four years by Mr Gordon Sawyer, who is also a member of Nottinghamshire Cricket Club.
Several of the new emblems were presented to Winteringham cricketers as trophies when the club held its annual dinner last week. Mr. Dudding, who was accompanied by Mrs. Dudding, also received one.
Lost and Found!
In August 2011, Ken Jacobs found this bronze badge with a cricket motif. Its origins are a mystery .... could it be connected to our own village cricket club? If you have any information, we’d be grateful if you could share it with us!