“Winteringham is a pretty place,
It stands upon a hill,
It has two chapels and a church
and Charlie Clayton's Mill.”
Poem often quoted by Harry Clarke, courtesy of his daughter Mary Fell
Milling was mentioned in Domesday Book, when there were apparently three mills in the village, which were presumably water powered. Later post mills, cap-mills and power driven
mills were used.
A post mill - the earliest common type of wind-driven mill in Britain - was reputedly sited on Cliff Road, which one would expect to be the windiest area of the parish.
To MILLERS, MALTSTERS & c.
WINTRINGHAM, near BARTON and BRIGG,
In the county of Lincoln.
To be SOLD or LET by PRIVATE CONTRACT
A Very commodious, and substantial Brick SMOCK CORN MILL, situate at WINTRINGHAM aforesaid, with five floors, regulating sails, three pair of stones,
two cylinders, corn screen, bolting mill, and every other requisite complete.
Also all that Messuage or Dwelling-house adjoining the same, with the spacious Granary (convertible into
a Malt-kiln), Meal Shop, Stabling for 8 horses, Cow-house, Cart Shed, Piggery, Garden, Yard and other conveniences thereto belonging.
The above premises were lately occupied by Mr.
Ralph Shaw, deceased, the owner; are situate within half a mile of the River Humber, and distant from Hull about 12 miles. The estate is Copyhold of
Inheritance of the Manor of Wintringham, where the fine is very small and certain.
Two-thirds of the purchase-money may remain on security of the premises, if required.
A view may be had on application to Mr. James Shaw, upon the premises; and further particulars may be had of him; of Messrs. Brown and Son, of Barton,
solicitors; or at the office of Mr. Cape, solicitor, in Messingham.
Messingham, 11th Aug. 1829
Cutting supplied by Val Peill
The Alexandra Flour Mill in High Burgage was preceded by another mill, in Mill Field, where a mound marked its position.
The Alexandra Flour Mill (pictured) was the last wind-powered mill in the village.
However the following report appeared in the Hull Packet:WINTERINGHAM
In 1910, Henry Brumby, then aged 10, made a drawing of the Alexandra Flour
Mills during a school art lesson. This drawing is based on his original.
On Monday [April 20th 1885], owing to some not very obvious cause,
one of the sails fell off the mill here, bearing with it part of the iron cross. The day was fine, and at the time of the accident the mill was going slowly.
The OS map of 1885, updated in 1906, also labels a ‘Flour Mill’ in a large building about 100 metres north of the Railway Station, between the Haven
and Low Burgage, of which there is now no trace. According to “Winteringham - A Further Browse” this mill didn’t close until 1952. It was
owned by the Clayton family, and was oil-driven, producing mainly animal feed, grinding oats, beans and barley on their own or in mixtures for cattle, poultry and pig food.
The Alexandra Flour Mill, opposite the Ferry Boat Public House, was sold in February 1827 by Benjamin Brown along with the dwelling house, mill garden
and cottages, and these were bought for £1,300 by Ralph Shaw of Althorpe. It was mentioned in White’s Directory of 1842, by which time Charles Judge
was the miller. He was still there in 1851, by which time he was 47 years old. He had been born in Smarden, Kent. He and his wife (Mary, born in
Blyton near Gainsborough, and eight years his junior), had seven children when the 1851 census was taken, ranging in age from a one-month-old
daughter, up to the eldest daughter who was fourteen. The four sons, aged from 5 to 12 were all ‘scholars.’
A ‘journeyman miller’ also lived with the Judge’s. He was 20 years-old Thomas Chamberlain, from Walesby near Market Rasen. The family also
appear to have employed a nurse, and a general servant. The origins of Charles Judge’s milling career, and of his marriage can only be guessed at,
but the fact that his mother-in-law also came from Smarden in Kent, and was living with the Judges in Winteringham does push our thoughts in only one direction.
Mr Judge appears to have had an injury - possibly a serious one from a report in the Hull Packet of 6th November 1863:
A few days ago, Mr Judge, miller, had a bad fall from the stage on Mr Driffill’s barn and sustained some serious injuries. Under the treatment of Mr Sadler
, surgeon, he is now likely to recover.”
The mill itself was a four-sailed cap mill.
By the time of the next Directory - 1868 - Samuel Bates had become the village miller, and he was last mentioned in 1896.
It is understood that the mill was converted to being power-driven, and its sails removed - as supported by Henry Brumby’s drawing showing no sails and a
tall chimney in the background.
In April 1885, one of the sails dropped off, and this may be when it was decided to convert to steam power. The event was recorded in the Hull Packet of
24th April 1885, thus:
“On Monday [April 20th 1885], owing to some not very obvious cause, one of the sails fell off the mill here, bearing with it part of the iron cross. The day
was fine, and at the time of the accident the mill was going slowly.”
Milling died out in villages largely due to the introduction of roller mills at ports where grain was either transported by the railways, or imported from the US
and Canadian Prairies
Photographs from the early part of the 20th century (left) show the Mill chimney. The top photograph shows it from
Low Burgage, and the lower photograph is taken from Market Hill.
Photographs of the Railway Station clearly show the chimney of the other flour mill just north of the railway station - Clayton’s Mill - the last mill operating in the village.