Winteringham Village Pump

Winteringham Local History and Genealogy

The Village Pump, & Water Supplies

Geology at Winterton Holmes

Village Pump Cliff Road Winteringham

The Village Pump, at the corner of Cliff Road, Back Lane, High Burgage and Winterton Road. 

Alan Burkill at Winteringham Village Pump
Mr Alan Burkill enjoys the July sunshine by the pump in 2004.

Two plaques on Winteringham village pump

The plaques on the pump, the pump was originally erected in 1911

Chalybeate Spring

But Winteringham's water supply goes back much further than 1911.  The Romans are thought to have used the Chalybeate Spring (pictured right) close to Tranymere Corner - though there were three Roman wells found virtually on Tranymere Corner, and archaeologically excavated.  The water from this spring supposedly had properties beneficial to health, and Dr Stukeley remarked that it was unusual to find fresh water such as this ‘so near an arm of the sea.’

This was just one of many springs in the village - Spring House even being named after its own! There were other springs, some of which have long been piped in, for instance in gardens on Marsh Lane, and in the north eastern corner of the Croft.  Obviously access to water was one of the necessities when establishing settlements, and Winteringham is at the very northern tip of a whole series of ‘spring-line’ villages stretching the length of the Lincolnshire Heights.

Some houses in the village had their own wells and pumps.  Some of the pumps were similar to the village pump shown above, while others (Elim House and the Mount in West End for instance) had wall-mounted, dual action pumps. These could be used for drawing water from the well, and then, by switching a small lever, could also pump the water to the upper storey of the house.

Shortly prior to the Second World War, mains water was brought to Winteringham, at which time most houses were connected to the supply, though there have been extensions since, some of which have been for agricultural purposes.

For many years there was a water tower just south of the village boundary at the top of the hill where the road to West Halton left the A1077, which fed approximately 40 ,000 gallons to the village each day.

Most of the water now is abstracted from the ground at Winterton Holmes Pumping Station.

The chart down the right hand side of the page shows the geology in the area of the pumping station, though it should be noted that the village geology varies very considerably from place to place within the parish.

 

Geology at Winterton Holmes Pumping Station

38’ brown marl clay

6’ sand and gravel

4’ course gravel, little sand

1’ clean fine gravel

7’  fine gravel with clay

2’ hard clean gravel

5’ hard white sand

1’ very hard sand

3’ fairly soft dark grey sandy shale

9’ harder dark grey sandy shale

6’ hard limestone

29’ soft sandy limestone fissured

1’ Kirton limestone

1’ Broken limestone

1’ Shale

1’ soft sandstone

Borehole at Read’s Island approximately 1900

Bore at Reads Island

800 w -VILLAGE PUMP 1911-20130213-093658

Celebrating the pump!

Two photos showing celebrations at the village pump.  The top photo shows the opening of the village pump in 1911, whilst the lower photo is taken 66 years later to celebrate the pumps renovation as part of the celebrations of the Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II (1977).

    Both photos were sent in by Lorna Tomlinson, whose dad - Herbert Bratton - is seen taking the first cup of water from the renovated pump.  He was one of the children in the upper photo too, then aged 6!

    Other people in the lower photograph are left to right: Terry Ward, Mr Christopher, Will Maw, John Wilkinson, Sandra Wilkinson, Denise Maw, Lorna Tomlinson, Ken Sills, Bill Proctor, Norah Proctor, and Rosemary Nuttall

    Thanks to Ken Jacobs for scanning these photos.

800 w -VILLAGE PUMP 1977-20130213-093658

 

Mel & Pump 2 400x498w croppedMel & Pump 4 400x498w

On May 11th 2013, Mel Parish is seen re-installing the pump after he had carried out significant rebuilding of the casing and pump-handle!

800 w -P1170490-20130910-202426

10th September 2013, saw the pump officially reopened.

l to r: North LIncs Councillor Helen Marper, Clerk to the Parish Council Christine Hammond, the Mayor of North Lincs Peter Clark, NL Councillor Helen Rowson, Chair of the Parish Council Kay Ashberry, NL Councillor Ralph Ogg, Parish Councillors Martin Bell and Keith Rounce.

 

Have you tried the other Winteringham Websites?
Winteringham, Parish Council (includes current news items, photographs, weather forecasts, calendar of events, etc etc) Don Burton World of Nature Photo Archive (modern photographs of the village), What the Papers have said about Winteringham (since July 2004), High Resolution Historical Photographs, Winteringham Film Archive, Winteringham Football Club, Winteringham Nature Site, Winteringham Recipes, Winteringham Sales, Winteringham Camera Club, Winteringham Village Hall, Winteringham Chapel

AddThis Feed Button
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Contact Winteringham.info

Visitors

Winteringham Info Favicon