A wonderful photograph kindly supplied by Mrs Corney.
The railway in everyday working mode. The line to West Halton and Scunthorpe disappears up the picture, with the tracks very shiny,
indicating that this photo was taken before the line closed to passengers (in 1925). The camera position appears to be on the end of the
platforms - the line to Whitton passing to the right of the camera, and the line to the Station platform to the left. Thirteen assorted wagons
are in the goods sidings. The Croft is the field to the left with one of the four chesnut trees that used to grace this pasture visible in the
distance. Behind the telegraph pole, left of centre is the wooden silo on the Co-op Farm in Marsh Lane, and peeping behind that is the
Church tower. The bushes to the right are the beginnings of ‘Little Wood’, and Lindsey Cottages are visible on the right horizon.
This photo shows things that have long gone ... but don’t you just feel that the train could steam into view at any moment? In fact ... is
that some steam drifting northwards just past the bend?